Skip to main content

Drug and alcohol issues guidance.

Some children and young people experiment with drugs or alcohol as they grow up. Most children and young people who experiment with drugs will never go beyond experimentation. Some will go on to use drugs or alcohol in a controlled way ('recreational use'). For some however their use of drugs or alcohol may become problematic and affect many aspects of their life.

Drug or alcohol misuse is known to contribute to a range of poor outcomes for children and young people, for example:

  • poor health
  • poor mental health
  • educational attainment
  • family breakdown
  • economic wellbeing
  • offending behaviour

We have recently launched a specialist substance misuse service for children and young people.

The Derbyshire Recovery Partnership is a partnership between Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, local charity Derbyshire Alcohol Advice Service (DAAS), national charity Phoenix Futures and peer-led organisation Intuitive Thinking Skills.

The partnership will offer a wide range of services to help people reduce the harm from their substance use, access treatment and move into recovery.

It will also offer advice and help for families and carers who are living with, or supporting, someone with a substance misuse issue.

Action for Children Space 4 U - is aimed at children and young people affected by substance misuse of others. 

The service aims to deliver sessions to support children and young people (between 5 and eighteen years old) who are affected by the substance misuse of other significant people around them.

CGL Derbyshire - Change Grow Live provide help and support to adults, children, young people and families.

CGL services cover a wide variety of areas including health and wellbeing, substance use, mental health, criminal justice, domestic abuse and homelessness.

Training on substance misuse is available on the Services 4 Schools website (search under substance misuse); in addition, Derbyshire have an E-learning drug awareness course.

More information can also be found on the Drugs and Alcohol section of the Derbyshire Safeguarding Childrens Board website.

Also see