Helping to achieve best practice in safeguarding children within Derbyshire, ensuring that every Derbyshire learner attends a 'Good' or 'Outstanding' Ofsted rated school.
Safeguarding audit for 2021 to 2022
The Derbyshire School Safeguarding audit has been updated to reflect Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Partnership priorities, and takes into account the changes expected around the updated Keeping Children Safe in Education, Statutory Guidance for Schools and Colleges. This is usually live for 2021/2022 in early September and ready for the new school term.
This audit helps schools to:
- Keep abreast of expectations both nationally and locally in how to help children and young people meet their needs and in keeping them safe in your setting.
- Ask key questions around the governance of safeguarding.
- Know when some sections do not apply to post 16.
- Respond to the need for early help.
- Raise awareness and respond to specific safeguarding issues as outlined by the KCSIE.
- Respond to statutory requirements under DBS and safer recruitment.
- Promote safer working practices.
- Collect and store data section to help you collect important safeguarding data, to share with governors, the DDSCP and Ofsted.
A completed audit enables:
- A Designated lead/link safeguarding governor to have an understanding of the safeguarding arrangements in the school.
- SMART planning and gap analysis.
- The findings to be presented to the governing body.
In line with this update, we have updated the recommended Safeguarding Portfolio Contents list for 2021/2022 and the offer of an OFSTED pre inspection checklist.
The Headteacher, Designated Safeguarding Lead and ideally the Designated Safeguarding Governor should complete this audit in June /July each year. This will reflect the current school safeguarding scoring and help to create an action plan identifying key targets for the forthcoming year. Once completed (by 16 July at the latest) please ensure you send in a copy by email to:
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact for advice around using the audit and any issues from completing it.