Mode of travel data to support local transport and health policies.
As the data is still necessary to plan, implement, support and provide evidence of the effectiveness of transport and health policies in schools, we would like to continue to collect it locally using Modeshift Sustainable Travel Accreditation and Recognition for Schools (STARS) each autumn term.
Sustainable modes of travel strategy
This briefing note is intended to provide information and instruction to schools in Derbyshire and is related to a statutory duty incumbent on all local authorities throughout England. It is intended that, by complying with this duty and by utilising the cooperation of schools, we will be able to provide useful information to parents in terms of how to access more active, healthy forms of travel to and from school.
For your information the Department for Education recently re-issued the home to school travel and transport guidance, which details this statutory duty of the local authority to promote the use of sustainable travel and transport.
This duty requires the authority to produce a sustainable modes of travel strategy that is a statement of our overall vision, objectives and work programme for improving accessibility to schools and will be an important source of information to parents on the travel options available to them when expressing their preferences for particular schools in the admissions round.
It is our intention to produce and make available a guide for parents that will highlight the sustainable travel options for travelling to school in Derbyshire.
In order to achieve this and to comply with the statutory requirements we need to complete an assessment of travel needs and an infrastructure audit and it is this that requires your kind co-operation.
It is our intention to use the Modeshift STARS scheme to collate and monitor this information.
STARS is a national awards scheme to which all schools in England are registered. This registration has been funded by the Department of Transport and so is completely free to schools and has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
Whilst a number of Derbyshire schools are already signed up to this initiative it is our intention to encourage those yet to do so to follow this example. The more schools we get on board the more complete and informative the final strategy will be for parents and other users.
With this in mind and as alluded to above we would, therefore, very much appreciate your cooperation with regards to the following information:
Mode of travel survey
Data is required for the actual and preferred mode of travel for at least 80% of pupils and full time staff at school.
This can be completed as a hands up survey on the Modeshift STARS page.
If your school has not already done so, please register and log on to the Modeshift STARS website.
Go to the cog button and select ‘add new survey’ to enter the preferred and actual modes of travel. For ease and a single entry you could tally up the figures for the entire school and add them all in one go. In this instance type in “whole school” where it asks for the class name.
Schools that recorded and entered their pupil mode of travel to Modeshift STARS as part of travel smart week in either October or May do not need to repeat this exercise again for pupils.
We would appreciate this being completed annually by the end of June at the latest.
We also need to collect the following information about the facilities at your school:
- the name of your school travel contact
- a contact email address to which future correspondence should be sent
- the age range of your pupils
- the number of pupils on role and in nursery (for example, 150 + 30)
- the number of full time staff
- the approximate number of pupils who receive bike ability training (or other cycle training equivalent) at level one, two and three
- the number of staff parking spaces
- the number of visitor parking spaces
- the number of disabled parking spaces
- the number of covered Sheffield stands
- the number of Sheffield stands
- the number of cycle pods or mini cycle pods
- the number of other cycle spaces
- the total number of pupil cycle parking spaces
- the total number of staff cycle parking spaces
- the number of push scooter parking spaces (for example, not motorised scooters)
- the number of storage lockers for cycling equipment
- the number of showers available for staff
- the number of spaces for coaches or buses to park, either within site or easy access outside the school
- the speed limit of the road outside the main gate
- how many of the following crossings facilities are present within 500m of your school?
- pelican crossing (green or red man on the opposite side of the road)
- puffin crossing (green or red man on the box on the same side of the road)
- toucan crossing (light controlled crossing for bikes also)
- zebra crossing
- school crossing patrol
- pedestrian refuge (for example, island in middle of road)
- are there any traffic calming within 500m of school, for example speed bumps, build outs? (If yes, please provide details)
- are there any dedicated cycle lanes leading to the school?
The more information you can provide the more detail we can include in the final document, although we understand you may not be able to provide all of the above information.
To complete this information please register your school with Modeshift and go to the section marked 'current plan - introduction and travel and transport infrastructure' where you can input the information yourself.
The Modeshift STARS system can also be used to establish and maintain your travel plan, as well as acting as a way of recording your participation in other sustainable travel related activities.
Your cooperation in this matter is very much appreciated and will lead to an informed document available to all parents by 31 August each year.
Therefore each year if there have been any changes to infrastructure around school please update your Modeshift plan accordingly.
If you require any further information or you would like further details with regard to please do not hesitate to contact the sustainable travel team, email: email@example.com