Introduction to the Derbyshire Local Area Sensory Processing Needs initiative.
Sensory processing needs (SPN) are recognised as significant barriers to children and young people’s learning. Working together across various departments within our local area, the NHS and Derbyshire County Council continue to address the challenges SPN present to children and young people and their families.
Working alongside a SPN steering group, Derbyshire local area can now offer a ‘bundle’ of resources to support the SPN of children and young people. These resources will be of especial interest to schools, colleges and early years’ settings.
Varying elements of the SPN bundle of resources can be found on the Local Offer and also attached to this page.
- Derbyshire Local Area - SPN Position statement
- Derbyshire Local Area - SPN Position statement (Readability version)
- Introduction to Sensory Processing Needs leaflet
- Derbyshire County Council SPN continuing professional development offer
- Derbyshire County Council Multi-Agency SPN toolkit
- Derbyshire Local Area SPN - The role of sensory champions
The SPN toolkit is a robust resource intended to meet the needs of the vast majority of children with SPN in schools, colleges and early years’ settings. In itself it requires no additional training, but the Steering Group anticipate that workers will have undertaken training on SPN and be familiar with the needs of children falling in this category.
All the resources, including the toolkit, are available to download from the related documents on this page.
We anticipate that Phase 3 documentation will be available in Spring 2021.