Skip to main content

Copyright gives creators the freedom to decide what happens to their creations. You may use someone else's work only if you have permission by the copyright owner or if the law allows it.

Currently, the Department for Education pays a single sum to each of the Copyright Management Organisations (CMOs) which will cover all primary and secondary schools in England, including academies, and all special schools and Pupil Referral Units. Independent fee paying schools are not licensed in the same way and may wish to seek advice direct from the CMOs.

Further information on the licences the DfE provides can be found on GOV.UK.

More information on copyright licences is also available from the Copyright Licensing Agency and the copyright and schools website.


Also see